This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Access Statement for Pickmere Country House
Pickmere Country House is located in the Cheshire village of Pickmere and offers 11 guest rooms;
4 superior doubles
1 superior double/twin room
1 standard double
1 family/twin/double/triple/quadruple room
1 twin/double in the Garden Annex
All the above rooms have ensuites
1 single with shared bathroom
1 small double which shares the same bathroom
1 single with private bathroom 5-6 steps across the landing
The house was built over 240 years ago in 1772 and is grade ll listed. Whilst we aim to meet the needs of all our guests there are some features of the house that might make access difficult for people with limited mobility.
We are situated in the centre of Pickmere, in the middle of Cheshire, making us an ideal place to stay for both business and leisure guests. We are conveniently located for access to all parts of Cheshire with good transport links nearby (please see below).
We are located in the centre of the village of Pickmere within 100yds of the B5391 – turn at the Red Lion pub into Park Lane.
For full details and maps of how to reach us by car please see the Contact page on our website, http://www.pickmerehouse.co.uk/contact-us/. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using Google Maps. Simply enter your post code and ours, which is WA16 0JX, to get directions.
We are within 4 minutes drive time from the M6 junction 19 and 10 minutes from M56 junction10.
Manchester Airport is 10 miles away – a 20-minute drive and Liverpool John Lennon Airport is 29 miles – a 35-minute drive.
Our nearest towns and cities are:
Northwich – 3 miles
Knutsford – 4 miles
Winsford – 10 miles
Warrington – 12 miles
Manchester – 20 miles
Chester – 30 miles
Liverpool – 32 miles
The nearest shop is a Spar Shop with post office in Wincham 1 mile away.
The nearest supermarkets, chemists and banks are in Knutsford and Northwich.
The nearest bus stop (Swans Travel No. 289) is located on Pickmere Lane B5391 near the Red Lion pub.
The following towns have railway stations – depending which line you are using:
Lostock Gralam – 2.3 miles (Manchester Piccadilly to Chester line). You will need to pre-order a taxi to meet you there, otherwise stop at either Knutsford if you are arriving from Manchester or Northwich if you are coming from Chester.
Warrington – 12 miles (mainline from London)
Crewe – 17 miles (quickest route from London on the mainline)
Hartford – 5.3 miles (Crewe to Liverpool line)
If you require a taxi please phone us for a number or we can book one for you. It is advisable to pre-book your taxi as they are not always available at short notice or at the stations.
We are just 2 miles from the Cheshire cycleway. Guests arriving by bicycle can house them safely in the boiler house and may dry any wet clothes in there too. It is locked overnight.
Guests may bring their dogs or cats (by prior arrangement) and we usually accommodate them in the twin/double room in the Garden Annex. It is situated along the terrace and has its own separate entrance, overlooks the garden at the rear and is convenient for walkies around the mere (lake).
Car Parking and Arrival
Off street car parking is available on site. There is 1 space for each room. Guests are asked not to park in either Merehaven Close or Crofters Close.
- The car park is on a slight slope and is gravelled
- Entrance to the house is through the porch at the rear
- There are 2 steps up from the car park:
step 1: 27cm (10 ½”) at it’s highest point, 13cm (5”) at it’s lowest point
step 2: 15cm (6”) onto a level patio which is blocked paved with seating and well lit at night time by a motion sensor.
- A further 2 steps takes you into the porch which is blocked paved. The door is 81cm (32”) wide:
step 3: 18cm (7”)
step 4: 9cm (3 ½”) and then 3 further steps up takes you into the house
steps 5, 6 and 7: 19cm (7 ½”) each
- The entrance door is 91cm (3’) wide and leads onto a coconut mat and is level throughout the ground floor. There are rugs on wooden floors in the corridors and fitted carpeting in the dining room and guest sitting room.
- The double fire doors are each 78cm (30 ½”) wide.
Guests who are unable to climb the stairs can enter the house from Park Lane, through the garden gate at the front. There is a small 6 cm (2 ½”) step up into the house and the door is 99cm (39”) wide, which leads on to a coconut mat and then it is level throughout the ground floor with rugs on wooden floors in the corridors and fitted carpeting in the dining room and guest sitting room.
Guests are welcomed in the hallway, having passed through the fire door, which is level throughout where they are asked to register.
Seating is available with 1 upright chair.
The area is well lit with overhead lighting and a table lamp.
Assistance can be given with luggage.
- All our bedrooms have flat screen TV’s with Freeview channels with subtitles available, guest information folders, hospitality trays with a selection of teas, coffee and hot chocolate.
- There is free Wifi throughout the house (reception can be a little intermittent in the Garden Annex due to the thick walls).
- Our beds are normally made up with 1 sheet, a hollow fibre duvet and a bedspread with 2 pillows per person – there are both hollow fibre and feather pillows (guests who are allergic to feathers should inform us at the time of booking). Blankets can be provided if preferred.
- There is seating, bedside tables, bedside lamps, a wardrobe, a dressing table/desk provided in each room.
- The radiators have thermostatic controls for guests to adjust the heat as they wish.
- There are automatic audible smoke alarms in all the bedrooms.
- All the bedrooms have a selection of books and magazines for guests’ enjoyment.
- There are ‘In Case of Fire’ instructions posted on the back of guest room doors.
- Each room has an information folder containing information on doctors, hospitals, shopping, breakfast and evening meal times and menus, how to park your car and local attractions.
There is 1 bedroom on the ground floor, Garden Annex, with its own separate entrance along the terrace. There is access directly from the road through the wooden garden gate in Merehaven Close.
- The step into the room is 21cm (8¼”) through a glaze double patio door which is 130cm (51”) wide. We do have a wheelchair ramp, please advise us if this is required before your arrival.
- The room has twin beds which can be zipped and linked together making a super king size bed. Please advise us before your arrival as to which configuration you would prefer.
- The room measures 4.10m x 2.72m (13’ 5½” x 8’ 11”) and has a wood laminate floor with anti-slip mat at the entrance.
- The room has an en suite shower room 1.85m x 1.46m (6’1” x 4’ 9½”) . The entrance is 66cm (26”) wide.
- The shower has a step up 20cm (8”) and the step down is 13cm (5”).
The door is 55cm (21½”) wide.
The internal measurements of the shower are 66cm x 63cm (26” x 25”).
The shower has a removable shower head.
- The toilet is 38cm (15”) high.
- The basin is 79cm (31”) high.
- Heated towel rail and shaver point.
The stairs leading to the 1st floor are 95cm (37½”)wide and there are 11 steps, 19cm (7 ½”) high, leading to a half landing and a further 3 steps of the same dimensions. The stairs are fully carpeted. There is a handrail on one side. The double fire doors are each 78cm (30½”) wide. There are 4 bedrooms on this floor.
Bedroom 1 is a single room with a private bathroom 5-6 steps across the landing. The bathroom has a bath with shower over, toilet, basin and heated towel rail. The door to the bathroom is This room overlooks the front with views over the Cheshire Plain.
Bedroom 2 is a superior double/twin room with an ensuite shower room. The room has twin beds which can be zipped and linked together making a super king size bed. Please advise us before your arrival as to which configuration you would prefer The door into the room is 86cm (34”) wide and the bathroom door is . This room overlooks the front with views over the Cheshire Plain.
Bedroom 3 is a family/twin/double/triple/quadruple room with en suite bath/shower room. There is a standard double bed and 2 single beds and the room is large enough for a z-bed and a cot, making it suitable for a family of 6. This room has a view to the rear.
Bedroom 4 is a standard double room with ensuite shower room. There is a standard double bed. This room overlooks the garden at the rear.
There are 6 bedrooms on the 2nd floor. The carpeted stairs leading to this floor are 107cm (42”) wide and there are 11 steps 19cm (7½”) high leading to a half landing and a further 3 steps 22cm (8½”) high. There is a handrail on one side.
Bedroom 5 is a superior double room with a king size sleigh bed and ensuite with a bath with a shower over, toilet, basin and heated towel rail. This room overlooks the front with views of the Cheshire plain.
Bedroom 6 is a superior double room with a king size sleigh bed and ensuite shower room with a toilet, basin and heated towel rail. This room overlooks the rear.
Bedroom 7 is a superior double room with ensuite shower room with toilet and heated towel rail. This room overlooks the garden at the rear.
Bedroom 8 is a single bedroom. It has 2 small windows overlooking the village on the side. This room shares a bathroom, which is next door, with another room. It has a bath and shower over, toilet, basin and a heated towel rail. There is a basin in the room and a bathrobe is supplied.
Bedroom 9 is a superior double room with ensuite shower room with toilet. This room has views over the Cheshire Plain to the front of the house.
Bedroom 10 is a small standard double room, which shares a bathroom with Room 8. The bathroom is 5-6 steps across the landing. There is a basin in the room and a bathrobe is supplied. The room has views of the Cheshire Plain to the front of the house.
Public Areas – Halls, Stairs, Landings Corridors
- All public areas, hall, stairs and landings are well lit using a combination of ceiling and table-lamps.
- The hallway is wooden flooring with 2 rugs and a runner carpet with non slip backing.
- There are no steps to the guest breakfast room and guest sitting room which lead off from the hallway and are carpeted
- There are automatic audible fire and smoke alarms in the public areas.
- The central heating can be adjusted in all rooms to suit individual needs.
- The downstairs toilet leads off from the porch.
- There are no stairs between the hall, guest dining room, guest sitting room and the downstairs toilet.
- The door to the toilet is 72cm (79”) wide.
- The toilet is 38cm (15”) high.
- The breakfast/dining room is situated off the hallway on the ground floor and the entrance is 88cm (34½”) wide and is step free onto carpet.
- There are large windows allowing plenty of natural light supplemented by adjustable overhead lights and table lamps.
- There are 4 tables seating 16 people with chairs.
- The sideboard accommodates the buffet where guests can help themselves to cereal, fruits, yoghurts and juices. Assistance can be provided on request.
- The sitting room leads off the dining room through double doors.
- There is a variety of seating including a 3 seater sofa, arm chair and a nursing chair .
- There is also a dining table that can seat up to 6 people for breakfast with chairs.
- There is a gas-burning log stove in the guest sitting room.
- Guests are welcome to borrow books from our small library, leave any books they have finished with, play with the toys, piano and board games provided.
Terrace & Garden
- Guests may sit out on a variety of chairs and benches on the terrace and enjoy the small garden
- Guests may use the area as a designated smoking area, as smoking is not permitted in the house. An ashtray can be provided on request
- There is a fire assembly point in the driveway at the bottom gate
- Wet clothes can be dried in the boiler house
- We are happy to cater for special diets or particular likes or dislikes. Please advise us before your arrival
- Guests bringing in takeaway food are asked to eat in the dining room
- We can refrigerate prescription medication and additionally store any perishable food in our fridge or freezer for a limited period, subject to space
- Mobile phone reception is generally good
Address: Park Lane
Telephone: 01565 733433
Hours of operation: Flexible within reason
Local taxi: Cheshire Taxis – 01606 41111
Club Class – 01606 46666